Date posted: September 6, 2016
We held the 12th Annual Naturescapes Awards Reception on September 3rd at the San Marcos Activity Center. The reception opened the Exhibition at the Walkers’ Gallery and also gave an opportunity to recognize the award winners.
We had a nice turnout and it was great to meet all the photographers, their families, and supporters. We were treated to snacks, drinks, cake, desserts, and wine and champagne. Music was provided by the ensemble, Wimberley Friends of Music. Many thanks Linda Kelsey-Jones, the Walker’s Gallery Director and exhibition curator, for organizing the reception.
The program was presented by Carol Serur, Beth Ramey, and Art Arizpe. Carol is President of the Hill Country Photography Club. Beth is President of the Hays County Master Naturalists. Art is the contest coordinator.
Naturescapes is the only juried exhibition at the Walkers’ Gallery and this year we were pleased to have John and Kendra Abbot as the contest jurors. John and Kendra are professional nature photographers, educators and outdoor enthusiasts.
The contest received 235 entries from 42 photographers. The jurors selected 60 images from 23 photographers.
Here’s the complete list of the Naturescapes 2016 Award Winners.
Awards of Merit
- Black-chinned Hummingbird 3 – Jørgen Høg
- Red Thorns – Nancy Naylor
- Water Lily with Bees – Winifred F. Simon
- Soldier Butterfly on Purple Coneflower – Drew Wilson
- Serene Queen – Drew Wilson
Awards of Excellence
The contest has four Awards of Excellence and each wins a $50 prize.
- Favorite Swimming Hole – Rose Krohn Epps
- Bluebonnets and Lightning – Andrew Heatwole
- bee in flight – Best Insect, Scott G. Mitchell
- Texas Mockingbird – Nancy Naylor
Best Natural Waterscape
The Best Natural Waterscape Award is sponsored by the Hays County Master Naturalists and wins a $75 prize. This Award was presented by Beth Ramey.
- Jacob’s Well in the Moonlight – Andrew Heatwole
The Best Youth Award is sponsored by the Hill Country Photography Club and wins a $75 prize.
- Flame Skimmer Dragonfly – Drew Wilson
Best in Show
The Best in Show Award wins a $100 prize.
- Gulf Fritillary Egg – Linda Avitt